Wednesday, August 26, 2009

When Sam was Dean

After four seasons of watching Supernatural, Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles have become Sam and Dean Winchester. They inhabit the characters so fully that it's always a little like whiplash to see them in other roles. It almost seems like it's Sam or Dean playing a part to lure out some demon or other paranormal baddie.

One of the shows that I didn't watch when it was on and which friends have been urging me to watch for some time is Gilmore Girls. In fact, fellow Supernatural Sister MJ took her urging to the next level and bought me the first season on DVD for my birthday. So recently I started watching. Let's just say I'm already into season two, and I get a little surge of joy when a new Netflix disc arrives.

The first time Jared Padalecki appeared on screen in an episode, I felt like Sam had taken a trip in the way-back machine. It was high school Sam -- only his name was Dean (hee!). But while it's a much younger Jared starring as Rory Gilmore's first boyfriend, I can still see glimpses of the guy who will become Sam Winchester.

Some of the mannerisms and speech patterns are still there, especially when he's upset. He's still tall and lanky, though not as ripped. I'm doubting Rory is going to be swooning at any wet chest towel scenes (my, is it warm in here?). And he's still good looking -- the type of guy I would have totally fallen for during my own nerdy high school years. There's even some of the confidence and cockiness mixed with bouts of being unsure about himself that we see in Sam.

You know what would be funny? If Rory and Lorelai Gilmore showed up on an episode of Supernatural and talked a demon to death. :) Hey, if they can have Paris Hilton...
~~~

FYI: If anyone is going to Dragon*Con over the Labor Day weekend, Supernatural Sister Tanya and I will be there spreading the word about the blog and generally getting our geek on. And there's a Supernatural fan discussion on the program for Friday at 10 p.m.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(You know what would be funny? If Rory and Lorelai Gilmore showed up on an episode of Supernatural and talked a demon to death.)

ROTFL! I would love to see that. Love GG.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Meeee, toooo! LOL

And your title reminds me--I totally meant to say this in my last post.

I really, really, REALLY want to see a Sam/Dean bodyswap this season. With Hell on Earth and all the attendant powerful beings, it could happen!

Trish Milburn said...

Body swap -- whoa, that could bring on the hilarity in the midst of chaos.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! Kripke we want some Freaky Friday, er, Thursday.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I know, right? :)